Acer Aspire One subsidized 3G rumor confirmed

Updated on 11 November 2019 by

Engadget just posted a piece linking to the PR that confirms the rumored subsidized Acer Aspire One [Portal page][review] deal. Acer has signed AT&T as the carrier and the Aspire One will sell through Radio Shack for $99 with internal 3G starting December 14th. AT&Ts 3G network is HSDPA based. When we had the Aspire One for review, we noted the SIM card slot hidden under the battery, unfortunately the 3G radio was not yet being built into the netbook.

Acer Aspire One goes official on AT&T’s 3G network – Engadget.

1. zorro says:

Hello Ben,

No news yet on the 3G module?
    Is it from Option?

thanks?

2. Ben says:

Hello Zorro,

As I said, AT&T’s 3G network is HSDPS based. As far as I know, the only 3G equipped Acer A1 will be through the Radio Shack deal for the time being.

3. zorro says:

Hey Ben,

Yes, I understand that the one through Radio Shack, is at this moment the only one with 3G. I just want to be sure which HSDPA module is inside before I order one.

I had problems with my first USB-dongle and later bought one from Option, with a terrific result. I don’t want anymore hassle and only want one if it’s equipped with the HSDPA module from the company Option Wireless, as it is at T-mobile in Germany. So, can you take a look at the module inside and see which one it is? Hopefully from Option Wireless.

Thanks,

4. Ben says:

If I see details of the unit that is inside, I’ll try to post them here.

5. RB says:

If AT&T doesn’t screw this up and charge more than the $30/month of the iPhone and Blackberry devices (for existing voice customers) there should be a stampede to their door for this. I bet they will mess it up, though. Although 3G is “not bad”, it certainly is not all that fast. If AT&T provides access to their Wi-Fi portals as a part of the deal it will take a lot of pressure off of their rather anemic 3G network as no one in their right mind would want to download much of a file on the 3G network.

The iPhone is darn near useless as an internet device and the Blackberry is not much better.

6. zorro says:

Hello Ben,

No news yet on the 3G module inside?

Thanks,

7. zorro says:

Hey Ben,

No news yet?
    Is it being launched on the 14th as scheduled or not yet?
    Looking forward to your impressions and especially regarding the internet connection and module.

Today there was news that TIM in Italy has launched a 3G MID.
    The choise is becoming even more difficult.

Greetz

8. zorro says:

Has anyone tested the Acer Aspire One 3G tested yet?

9. Free Gadget says:

Ta for the information, very usefull

1 Trackbacks For This Post

1. 3G Netbook hits top blog spot! | UMPCPortal - The Mobile Internet and Computing Reference Site says:

[…] You don’t often netbooks rising this high on Techmeme but for the U.S. this is obviously a big (and good) story. […]

LG G8X THINQ Dual Screen