10 years of Ultra Mobile PCs. Thank You for your support.

Updated on 23 February 2016

On the 21st Feb 2006 I posted a series or articles that kicked-off Carrypad.com. Hosted on Google Blogger these articles were actually electronic versions of notes I had been making since September 2015 when I started my search for a new mobile phone. I couldn’t find the phone so like a good geek I started to make a list. I started to research the technology and think about what people would want and use in years to come. The Carrypad, as I called it, was a 5 – 7 inch mobile internet device.

Celebrating 10 years with you.

Celebrating 10 years with you.

MWC has started in Barcelona and while VR is clearly the next big thing, the 6-inch HP Elite X3 launched and gave some strength to the next big change in mobile computing. But what happened in between?

Here’s a Thank-You and a look at my first UMPC…in comparison to a 2016 Phablet. Let’s talk about it and think about the next 10 years.

Again, Thank You for your support, and Cheers!

1. HildyJJ says:

I just wanted to thank you for many enjoyable years of reading your posts. I remember CarryPad (and JKOnTheRun and JKKMobile) supporting my craving for ever smaller, lighter, and more powerful Windows tablets. I look forward to your next 10 year summary (assuming I make it to 74). Maybe by then we’ll see a Surface Mini.

2. ImaPC says:

Congrats mate, hope you can continue with your awesome job. Salud!!!!!!

3. wimup says:

Thank you for all your hard work!

With phablets and the work with convergence, I hope to see MS Continuum and Ubuntu Phone succeeding. It’d be nice if MS’ Universal apps take off but I’d settle for at least a desktop mode while docked like what Canonical/Ubuntu is doing.

4. Eric Qel-Droma says:

As others have said: thank you! I’ve been following the site(s) for years. I remember being so excited about having a handheld computer–it seemed to be so full of possibilities! Having your sites as resources has been a part of my internet life for so long I hardly remember NOT having them.

Keep up the good work, and I hope to see another ten years of your reporting!

5. ??? says:

????????????????

6. Thomas says:

Chippy, take a look at this windows 10 umpc for gaming… https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-laptop-fitting-in-your-pocket–2#/

7. wimup says:

This seems likely to succeed. They have a more realistic goal (both device features and funding) compared to say the Dragonfly Futuref├Ân and other campaigns. It’s also from a company that has previously released other handlheld gaming devices (this is their first Windows based one).

I feel nostalgic when the comments mention copying some features from the Viliv N5. That was the best UMPC I’ve owned. It would have been the OQO if it didn’t overheat so easily.

Like some of the comments have mentioned, it would have been nice to have 802.11ac, a more centered keyboard layout and optional WWAN.

8. Paul M says:

that looks quite nice. I have a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, and have previously had various Sharp Zauruses, so what I really want is a clip-on keyboard clamshell cover for the XZU.

9. s2weden2000 says:

Chippy what happened to JKK mobile?

10. nobrandheroes says:

I would like to know this too. I was thinking about that guy the other day…

11. s2weden2000 says:

i miss the podcasts they had together :-/

12. Paul M says:

you wrote “making since September 2015”
    do you mean “since Sept 2005”?

13. onkyo says:

Time flies! I still have my Samsung Q1 (original Celeron 900MHz), but the battery is dead. Battery life was no more than 2 hrs best, and the “exhaust” gives out this warm air when running, lol. The stereo speakers are great sound though, not like these ultra thin devices today, that cannot provide even a mid-bass sound (and even netbooks could have worse sound than this.) I don’t use it much anymore, ironically I often borrow the USB keyboard+”joystick” when I work on other devices, as it’s convenient.

Congratulations on your new position at notebookcheck, and thank you for continuing the UMPCportal also. I remember you once had said encourging words when I had some criticisms in the UMPC days, that newer products would work out better. I guess it takes Microsoft to get things into Surface Pro, only after so many mistakes, over and over! (and what did they do w/ the acquisition of Danger? not much).

And then also why are there no longer a market for MIDs today? The UMID and Viliv were the hottest items back when on this website; that’s where the attention was at: the kind of users who demanded the tiniest Windows PC on their palms. Would these user still want another 4.8″ running full Windows (i.e. 8.1 or 10)? I am sure technologically speaking it is feasible today.

It seems the smallest full Windows devices today is 7″, from some unknown brands from China, and 8″, if we only count name brands (like my Dell Venue Pro 8, or previously Acer W3). Where are the sub 7″ models?

HP Elitebook 820 G2