None of the Apple Tablet rumours up until now had interested me. A 9”, 10” or 12” latest rumour from Business Week does.just doesn’t excite but he
Apple has developed prototypes of two different tablet machines—one that resembles a large-sized iPod and boasts a 6-inch screen….Apple’s tablet may cost as little as $679, Doherty says. Then there’s the Apple software mystique. “Apple has a real opportunity to take the magic of theinterface and give that more real estate to do the tasks,” Kay says. “It’s an , but bigger. It’s something that you know, but bigger.”
For fun I’m going to assume it has the hardware and software I previously talked about in my iPod Plus predictions article.
- CPU: 800Mhz Cortex A8. Proven. Available. 2-4 times processing power improvement. ARM and partners would put a lot of effort into this to showcase their new products into new segments. Update: It’s already used in the 3GS.
- GPS module and an electronic compass (needed for auto and pedestrian navigation)
- Enlarge the battery to 150% and make it removable. (Due to increased usage model)
- Data-only 3G module. Unlocked. (No voice to avoid it cutting across partner products and to ease a global rollout through carrier deals.)
- Improve video and 3D co-processing to enable a step-change in capability in these areas. (HD 720P and re-stimulate the existing developers to enhance their games and make 2nd versions)
- Screen/TV output (digital)
- Mid-range built-in webcam
- Good storage. 16GB-64GB storage options.
- Include an FM transmitter and receiver. (In-car use)
- Weigh no more than 300gm. Challenging but possible.
I currently use three devices regularly. My N82 (for email and RSS reading) my Viliv X70 (for lazy-boy surfing, navigation, online video and some IM and social networking) and my Fujitsu Loox U/B50N (for much the same as the X70 but it’s the one I take when I leave the house just in case I need to do more typing. I use online applications for blogging and word processing) A 6” iPod Touch would probably replace both the X70 AND the Loox.
- Lighter and smaller than both the UMPCs I use regularly.
- Better on-screen keyboard than X70. Comparable with Loox keyboard input speed.
- Research purposes
- More fun than an XP-based device
- Easy Access to TV, Video, Podcasts via iTunes
- New scenarios such as augmented reality and other location services
- More stylish
- Use as coffee-table newspaper/digital frame
- Navigation capability (probably at a cost though)
- Video playback around the house (flash is important here and a potential show-stopper)
- Ebook reading / Online reading
- Potentially longer battery life
A 6” Tablet wouldn’t really be a traditional productivity-focused device like a UMPC is but more of a high-end MID. Much more personal and using leading edge Web2.0 methods to get things done. It would really suit the way I work and given 3G and multitasking, $700
Risks and problems:
- Browsing Speed
- Cost in Europe
- New MID products being launched
We’ve discussed this before and many of you had some excellent comments. Bluetooth stack was a common worry along with keyboard and the browser which some of you think should support plug-ins as well as flash. Some of you wanted remote desktop support too. We’ve talked about resolution. 1024×600 or 800×480? 800×480 would be OK for me. How do you feel now that the iPhone 3GS is out and there are other products on the market? Would you prefer an Android-based device?
Fingers crossed for a September surprise.