Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video.

Posted on 17 December 2009 by

Thanks very much to Mobilx.eu who have sent one of their first Archos 9 devices to us for a week of testing and hands-on. You’ll remember hearing about this earlier in the year and getting a launch at IDF in September but it’s taken a long time to reach the hands of end-users. There are a few early devices out there already but not many hands-on and unboxing videos. Here’s my contribution.

Live Review was recorded and is available here.

I’ve been testing a lot since doing the video and haven’t seen anything that has changed much from my last testing session with it. Battery life is a very sold 3hrs (wifi on, screen 50%), the Windows 7 build is ‘Starter Edition’ it comes with a 60GB hard drive, 1GB RAM and the 1.1Ghz Intel Atom processor.

I will be preparing the device for a full hands-on demo and Q&A for tomorrow’s live session. Hope to see you there.

Categorized | Hands On

Tags : , ,

1. Steve 'Chippy' Paine says:

2. Steve 'Chippy' Paine says:

3. Daniel Ho Sheng says:

RT @umpcportal: New article: Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video. http://bit.ly/59Vvkn

4. Thomas Riley says:

RT @chippy: RT @umpcportal: Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video. http://bit.ly/59Vvkn

5. Alessandro Tucci says:

6. simms22 says:

RT @chippy RT @umpcportal: Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video. http://bit.ly/59Vvkn

7. Antonio Lopez Fdz. says:

Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video. http://ff.im/-d3o9Y

8. ゲンジンアロ says:

RT @MIDMoves RT @umpcportal: Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video. http://bit.ly/59Vvkn

9. Vicente says:

Curious about video chip. Does it have multitouch?

Chippy Reply:

The OS can handle multi-touch (doubt in Starter version)
    The screen touch layer would need changing though.

10. alslayer says:

Nice overview. I wonder how it compares to the tc1100 in weight and speed.

11. Chuong Nguyen says:

Very nice unboxing. Seems like a very compelling, lightweight tablet. Not sure if I’ll miss the hardware keyboard in this slate form factor, but the design looks gorgeous.

12. Josef says:

Thats what i am waiting for a professional Test hands on and so on. Thanks for that. I want one, but with SSD cause HD makes no sense for me.

13. Paul says:

I won’t be able to join you live but am very interested in this product for a specific purpose. I am really hoping this will work for me as an electronic notepad using onenote but I need to know that the screen will work well with a stylus and not be confused by my palm resting on the screen. I have always used active digitisers before which work a treat (e.g. motion slates). Also if you can dispel the rumour that this version of windows 7 doesn’t have the pen input panel and handwriting recognition – although I will probably install the full w7 if I get it. Finally – I want it to work in portrait mode – presumably this is possible?

Great if you can check these things for me — Thanks!

David Reply:

I have the exact same reaction. Paul, did you ever figure out or find outif this works well in a One Note environment…good handwriting recognition, active digitizer (no palming)….?

14. Charbax says:

My guess is that Microsoft may provide an upgrade from Home edition to Tablet edition for some type of price. $80 or something possibly. So perhaps one can upgrade if one really wants those Microsoft tablet features.

jkkmobile Reply:

Upgrading the OS is one thing, hardware needs to support w7 touch features too.

15. 13tog says:

I’m thinking of spending the £400 on this so find it very interesting. Play and Amazon have good prices but I’ll check Mobilx as I think they’ve done the Archos buying community a favour by lending this machine to Chippy.

16. paquito says:

I’d like to see this with more powerful processor, ssd, leather case with bluetooth keyboard, and the thought that this doesn’t have a fan makes this my dream machine.

17. lanlanb says:

Thanks for the update. Been waiting for this tablet for months. My turn-off is that it’s not multitouch, so probably still hold onto this Samsung Q1U bit longer.

18. Scott says:

That looks pretty sweet. The low CPU is my concern. Thanks for the vid – I look forward to the next one!

19. lintweaker says:

Chippy mentioned this is a device from the 2nd batch. I wonder if there are any (notable) differences with the ones from the first batch? Mine is from the first batch.

tmarks11 Reply:

some of the first batch had defective batteries.

aj Reply:

Ya, the second batch will just have something else wrong with it. Like with all Archos devices, there’s always something wrong. Like how the Archos 5 Internet Tablet just crashes all the time.

20. Will says:

Thanks for the unboxing and intro into the machine. I like a fairly straightforward review like this so was well worth a watch.

For me its nice to a tablet that’s not just a concept mock-up but a real hands-on device that’s available now.

Nice one!

21. AYKubik says:

Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video. http://ow.ly/NsBb

22. Alexander Y says:

Archos 9 Tablet (Retail) Unboxing and Overview Video. http://ow.ly/NsAZ

23. Schugy says:

9 inch are huge and maybe this explains the higher power drain compared to UMID. I really love my Dual Core netbook and I can’t imagine buying an Atom based device whether it supports HT or not.
    I wonder how good skype works with the internal mic because it has a traditional hdd. The cover for the extension port (or HDMI?) wasn’t designed well and it took you a minute to put it back in its place. Would have been great to use the “stylus” to see whether it is as unusable as it looks like.
    A gravity sensor for mode switching is missing – or at least a shortcut.
    The optical mouse sensor was very slow, maybe its low resolution and hardly usable on high mouse speeds. On my Everun Note I can move 1024 px in 2 steps and 7″ is pocketable.
    But in short: Please develop a Dual Core with capacitive multitouch screen, LED backlight and about 30 – 35 Wh battery for 4 – 5 battery life.

24. Romes says:

I received mine last week and was impressed with the look and feel of it. But once I turned it on and spent what felt like an eternity getting it setup, I was thoroughly disappointed with its poor performance. It is just too slow to use. Running Windows 7 starter, using my Sprint 3G USB card and opening one instance of IE had the RAM running at a steady 75% and the CPU usage would top out at 100% for a solid 2 minutes before allowing me to do anything. And even then it would hover around the 60% mark and shoot up anytime I tried to open a website, click on a link, etc. Given the specs, they need to release this product with a stripped down OS and maybe it would be worth using. Otherwise, I woudl stay clear away from this product.

25. UMPC says:

I think this is great. The screen is the brightest screen out there for a tablet pc on the market (there are none). More competition between tablets will create better price points and feature robustness. Archos has been a long time maker of portables they know what they’re doing. I don’t care which maker will have the best one. The important fact is there will be options.