D.F.J – Direct From Japan, an exporter of mobile solutions direct from the Akihabara district have a Willcom D4, one of the neatest ultra mobile PC solutions we’ve seen yet. I’ve been in touch with DJF today and they’ve been kind enough to send over some first-opinions about the device. Before you read through them though, let me highlight one very important figure. Last week it was reported that the D4 was returning just 1.5 hours on the standard battery (7wh) DFJ report that this is under WWAN conditions. Running without WWAN and Wifi is a different story. We’re working on getting some better battery life reports out soon so don’t give up on the D4 just yet. Continued after the pic…
DFJ’s First opinion of Final Willcom D4:
- Size and weight perfect for a big pocket.
- Touchpad, side of the screen, is very useful and respond very well.
Light up when you place your finger and can be used for scroll Up/DOWN.
- Dock station very interesting. D4 stand up well, easy to place IN, and you can charge another battery on the dock.
- Several communications ports included on the dock station (Dock is sold separately)
- Run fast enough on Vista. Thank you ATOM CPU.
- Screen quality and density of pixels is amazing. Screen quality like Sharp Zaurus or Sharp Muramassa.
- Price (Should be less) and dock station should be included (like with Sony UX)
- Keyboard keys are small.
- Willcom W-SIM (Proprietary sim card) Work only in Japan.
- Glossy Black body, nice but not for fingerprint.
- GPS is Option and external (mini USB port).
I’ve highlighted one point above. This is a big big outstanding question for many. Hopefully when we get the Kohjinsha SC3 from DJF next week we can confirm some performance figures.
In addition to these first-impression bullet points, DJF have released three videos about the D4. Check out the very, very cool track-pad in the first video. If only this was a quad-band HSDPA device!