Hopefully you’ve taken a look at JKontherun’s X70 EX coverage over the last few days and seen how sleek the new Viliv X70 EX is. I’ve just picked up an X70 EX Air from Viliv (Thanks Viliv!) The X70 EX Air takes the 1.3Ghz Intel Atom platform and puts it inside a 7 inch casing with a few additional and important elements. Where the S5 has no cam, the X70 has one. Where the S5 has no built in mic, the X70 has one. There’s also a media slot, built-in stylus and a mini USB port that contains a transfer adaptor. Just plug the X70 into your PC and up pops the file transfer software. (Not tested yet) On the AIR model you’ll also find the 32GB SSD and Huwei Mobile Connect 3G Modem. This is the top-end model. Build quality is, as expected from Viliv, top-notch.
Here are a few notes as I wait for my taxi transfer to Taipei airportâ€¦
- This model is ‘98%’ ready.
- Screen is soft touch.
- ‘The mouse-pointer stick is not! Again we have a cursor joystick where a mouse pointer would have been better.
- On screen keyboard has haptic feedback.
- The device feels slightly heavy. This is possibly because I’ve been using the Smart Devices Q7 which is super light-weight.
- There’s a small amount of heat build up on the bottom right.
- Stereo speakers are surprisingly loud and excellent quality for a UMPC
- I’m expecting similar battery life to the S5 (The battery is bigger, but so is the screen.)
And a few picsâ€¦