Swype Brings Hope to Those Who Hate Virtual Keyboard’s

Updated on 31 July 2015 by

The first Android tablets are soon to hit our stores in what can only be described as the tip of a very large iceberg, every major and not so major manufacturer has a device on the horizon it would seem. Text entry on these Android devices is going to be important as it will be done through a virtual on-screen keyboard and plays a big part in the overall experience of a device.

Swype has a different approach to text entry which involves moving your finger over the letters in the word you require rather than individually pressing each letter. I thought the best way to show this to you is in a video;

Already major manufacturers are recognising the potential of this type of text input and even the upcoming Motorola Droid X [product details] comes with Swype as the standard text input method.

Although the Swype beta is now closed you can still register for the next test and hopefully we should see this Android market soon.

1. Philip Pickett says:

Chippy, I’ve tried them all … on a Dell Streak. The SlideIT keyboard is by far the best. Check it out!

Phil

2. DavidC1 says:

Wow, that’s amazing! I hope it works as well as it looks like its doing.

3. Nicole says:

I love it and now cannot live with out it!

I can do full emails on my phone now!

4. Amin says:

I hear everyone talking about Swype, which isn’t even out yet when I’ve been using SlideIT for a while now and LOVE it. I’ve used the Swype beta and I gotta say, SlideIT just works better. Its dictionary is better, it’s word prediction is better and it’s way of choosing alternate words is better. Instead of forcing you to choose from a popup menu, it makes its best guess then gives you an unobtrusive menu of alternate words to choose from in case it got it wrong. Please, try SlideIT, it’s a superior keyboad and it’s already available.

5. Philip Pickett says:

There you go – what did I say?

6. Ben says:

I’m pretty impressed with how quickly you can type with Swype. Sad to know that there is a 99% chance that Apple won’t even give the option for this sort of keyboard on iOS. Jailbreakers might however, if it turns out to be useful enough. Great video Guy!

7. Guy says:

Thanks Ben, you managed to get your iPhone mount sorted yet?

I’ve personally not tried SlideIT but after your recommendations will give it a go.

Thanks

8. jjsjjsva says:

Why not just go to speach recognition and eliminate typing of any kind all together. We already have to put up with hearing cell phone conversatins everywhere, so why not speach regocnition typing.