The accessory pack provided was of very high quality. The leather case is well made with a plastic key that locates into a keyhole on the back of the X70. The mount is easy to use (see animation below) and seems very strong. A stylus is also included in the case.
The car mount better and stronger than the one we tested with the Viliv S5. Again, it uses the mount point on the rear of the X70 and provides a strong, tidy fitting.
Click to enlarge images. Full gallery available here.
The car kit comprises a two-part suction mount. It holds well and adjusted in two directions. Also included in the car kit is a 12V adaptor. Not shown in the photos
Who’s the target customer?
The X70 hits at the heart of the do-it-all ultra mobile PC territory. Here’s a selection of usage models.
- Table top use as a PC with a USB keyboard
- Sofa-surfing / Bed surfing
- Multi-format ebook reading (We estimate 6-7 hours at medium screen brightness. The screen is not for outdoor reading)
- Fast 3G Mobile internet access. (One of the best solutions we’ve tested.)
- Portable 3G/Wifi router (4-6 hours constant use)
- Stand-up use with the on-screen keyboard
- High-end personal media playback (and portable PVR â€“ just add a DVB-T stick in Europe. We are planning to test Windows 7 media center on the X70 in the near future)
- High quality in car navigation / Car PC / Car audio component. StreetDeck looks fantastic on this.
- Portable Skype video conferencing tool. The quality of the cam and audio are very good.
- Grab and go desktop device.
- Digital imaging preview and modification. (The CPU isn’t powerful enough for fast efficient viewing and editing of RAW images.)
- Professional mapping applications
- High-efficiency computing. This is one of the most efficient 7 inch screen PCs we’ve ever tested.
- High definition presentations to 720p/1080p displays via component outputs
- Secondary display / processing unit for the desktop. (See Synergy keyboard and mouse sharing application)
A hardware keyboard would increase the number of usage scenarios but it would increase the cost and decrease the mobility somewhat.
The Viliv X70 doesn’t work well as a traditional tabletPC. The resistive touchscreen is not palm resistant and you’ll have to find a copy of Windows XPTE (or maybe Windows 7, untested Testing notes here.) to load onto it to get a chance to use the tablet input panel. Even then, we’re not sure if the touch drivers are TabletPC compatible.
High quality. Great battery life. Excellent build. Class leading portability. Fast, high quality web browsing. High-end video quality and a good range of accessories is exactly what we said about the Viliv S5 but it applies to the X70 EX too. With the X70 you sacrifice some portability for an improved user experience, SD card slot, web cam and built-in mic and in our opinion the X70 EX is a better tablet-style solution than the S5 unless you need the smallest form factor possible. It covers more usage scenarios with an easier user experience.
It has to be said that, as with most UMPCs, the target market is scattered across a number of niche and early-adopter markets and doesn’t fit into the the traditional smartphone/laptop, 2-device combination but for pro-mobile users, people wanting the fastest and richest mobile internet experience in the smallest 7 inch screen package, there really is no comparison. The Q1 Ultra Premium or Q1 Ultra 3G is definitely a competitor but the Viliv X70 EX introduces great value for money on top of everything that the Q1 U series can do and in the case of the Premium Air model we have here, earns the title of the best 7 inch Tablet ultra mobile PC we’ve ever tested.
Pricing and availability
Entry-level (recommended) pricing for the Viliv X70 Express (16GB with 1.2Gh/800Mhz CPU) has been set at $599. For the Premium model with 32GB SSD and the 1.33Ghz processor Viliv are recommending a $729 price point and if you want to add 3G on top of those specs, the Premium Air version will cost $879. These are recommended prices. Update: Dynamism will be selling the X70 EX at the prices shown here.
Availability is initially through Dynamism.com and we are expecting their prices to be available soon after this review has been posted. Viliv expect the X70 EX to be available through other channels in other countries at a later date. The X70 EX is expected to officially launch within the next few weeks but we don’t know when the first shipment is expected. Again, keep an eye on Dynamism for that.
Many thanks to Viliv for the long-term loan of the X70EX and for being available for questions and feedback.