Ultrabooks are all about getting full computing power in a lightweight, stylish and long-battery life solution. Core i3, i5 and i7 ‘ultra low voltage’ platforms are the core of these systems but there are a few non-ultrabook solutions that use this platform and still provide a thin and light solution. One of them is a true alternative. It’s a tablet/docking station combo that I’ve written about before. The Samsung Series 7 XE700 and today the prices are looking a lot better than they did a month ago.
I was impressed with the XE700 in my first hands-on. Sizing, processing power, connectivity and features were excellent and for anyone involved with Windows 8 tablet application / Metro app development, the Samsung, with its 1366×768 dual-layer touchscreen, is a must-have.
The XE700 is available with and without a docking station and keyboard that turn the slate into a true desktop computer. I’m not talking about an Intel-Atom or AMD Fusion-based tablet here, I’m talking about something that will whip through Sunspider in 350ms, runs over 100,000 on a Crystalmark score and allow fairly complex 720p video editing.
At launch, we saw some relatively high $1400 prices but today I see that Amazon US have dropped the package, including the keyboard, to a much more palatable $1250 – with 128GB. I see discounts on that down to $1199 via Amazon marketplace.
- XE700T1A-A01US – 64GB Win 7 HP, No dock/keyboard – $1049
- XE700T1A-A02US – 128GB Win 7 HP, No dock/keyboard – $1199
- XE700T1A-A03US – 128GB Win 7 HP, with dock and keyboard – $1199
- XE700T1A-A04US – 64 GB Win 7 Pro, No dock/keyboard – $1019.05
- XE700T1A-A05US – 64 GB Win 7 Pro, No dock/keyboard. With TPM (unconfirmed) – $1039.99
- XE700T1A-A06US – 128GB Win 7 Pro- *Note. No obvious differences. We suspect this is a bundle package but please check with Samsung before ordering* $1400 approx.
These specs are listed as best efforts and are unconfirmed with Samsung but the important one to take note of is the XE700T1A-A03US with dock and keyboard to $1199 (Pre tax)
In Europe I’m seeing the UK version for around €1150 / £960 (post tax) which includes the dock, 64GB SSD and Windows Home Premium. There’s a version available in Germany with HSDPA, 64gb SSD, Win 7 Pro for around €1350 (post-tax) although this is currently a B2B product and not easily available.
We’re likely to have a sample of this in the next month so stay tuned for more.